Monday, November 09, 2020

For the Many Tomorrows to Come: Kindness, Singing, and Love

Below are what I posted on election day and the day after election day, 2016. The election day post, "Tomorrow I Will" was posted at 11 pm, after we knew the results. Not much sleep followed that post, and by the morning I had cobbled together some thoughts for my children.




I'm in a unique position among many of my Facebook friends. My feed is not an echo chamber of fellow progressives who agree with my view of what reality is or what is possible.  I watch Fox News and listen to right-wing talk radio. Hannity, Limbaugh, Shapiro, Ingraham, Owens, Levin, Savage, Beck, Jones, QAnon... I have had dozens of conversations with Trump supporters. 

When progressives expressed our fears for what a Trump administration could (and did) mean, we were met with gleeful dismissals: FUCK YOUR FEELINGS! and people rejoicing over LIBERAL TEARS and  OWNING THE LIBS.  We were SNOWFLAKES and LIBTARDS.  

All while the Trump administration rolled back legal protections for people I love, put into action capricious and cruel immigration policies, promised plans that never appeared (infrastructure, health care), ignored and mishandled a pandemic response, called the free press the enemy of the people, and spewed playground-level insult rhetoric from the official accounts of our leaders.  

So I am not surprised when Biden's gracious outreach in his victory speech is being met with a big ol "Yeah, right!" and hostility from Trump supporters. It's how they reacted, so it's how they expect us to react.  

My celebration of the Biden/Harris victory is not rooted in hatred of the other side.  I believe that progressive, inclusive policies will better the lives of all 300 million Americans. I will fight for your healthcare, your civil rights, and your freedom without asking who you voted for. 

I am not out to "own" Trump supporters or rejoice in their pain as they have rejoiced in ours. When you lead with compassion, you never say 'fuck your feelings'.

I have tried to spend as many tomorrows since 2016 (now yesterdays) being kind, loving, and singing over these past four years. 

There are many tomorrows to go -- may the kindness, singing, and love only grow.